WIC is an Equal Opportunity Program. If you believe that you have been discriminated against due to race, color, national origin, age, sex or handicap, write immediately to the Secretary of Agriculture, Washington, DC 20250.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Who Are Breastfeeding Peer Counselors?

Our breastfeeding peer counselors took the time to answer some questions to give you a better idea of who they are, what they do, and how they help our WIC moms.  We originally posted this piece back in October of 2011, but we decided to repost it since we have added a peer counselor to our staff!

ZaKia

1.  What is your favorite part about being a breastfeeding peer counselor?

My favorite part about being a peer counselor is working with a mom for a while to then get a      phone call where the mom tells me that everything is working for them. That their milk finally came in or that baby finally latched on! It is very rewarding to hear the joy in moms voice!

2.  What are some things you have learned from the moms you work with?

I have learned from lots of moms, especially those who tried to breastfeed before and were not successful, that it is a tremendous help to have someone calling and checking in on them as well as giving them the assistance they need. That helps them to get past some of the frustrating times.

3.  How do you think breastfeeding peer counselors help WIC moms to successfully breastfeed?

As a peer counselor, I believe we help mothers to successfully breastfeed by being encouraging, patient, caring and also available. Even if they are not able to breastfeed for a long amount of time, to have a counselor right there beside them helps them to go even further than they initially thought they could go.  Our success also comes from being able to share our own personal stories of breastfeeding.

Angie

1.  Have you noticed any differences in the health of your child who was exclusively breastfed and the health of your children who were not exclusively breastfed?

I have three children and I breastfed my first two children for about 5 months each.  Immediately when formula was introduced there were health problems, from not being able to tolerate formula, constant diarrhea, ear infections, etc.  For the following months until the turned a year old, I made doctor visits at least 1 to 2 times a month.  With my third child I was able to exclusively breastfeed for the whole first year, and I have experienced a drastic difference.  I have only been to the doctor once for an ear infection.  If I had been able to stick to breastfeeding exclusively with my first two children, I KNOW they would have been healthier and it would have saved me both time and money.

2.  What are the most common problems you see moms having, and how would you recommend they fix those problems?

The most common problem I see is when moms introduce formula because they don't understand that their mature breast milk doesn't come in until several days after birth.  At first, they only have a small amount of colostrum.  I hear so often, "My milk wasn't coming in soon enough," or, "I'm not making enough breastmilk to satisfy my baby's hunger."  First, moms need to realize that their little bundle of joy isn't going to eat 4-8 oz. when they are first born.  That will happen after they have been feeding on demand every 1 to 2 hours for a couple of weeks and their milk supply is better established.  I also tell moms to look for wet and dirty diapers before and after feedings.  If the baby is having them frequently then mom has plenty of breast milk for the baby.

3.  What is your favorite part about breastfeeding?

My absolute favorite part about breastfeeding is the special bond I have with my child that no one else has.  After a long day, I just love to cuddle up and breastfeed my little one.  It is a special quite time that I can caress her hair, read to her, and sing lullabies.  I also LOVE that I do not have to get up in the middle of the night to prepare bottles - I can sleep more!

Vivid

1.  What are your favorite aspects of being a breastfeeding peer counselor?
I enjoy helping moms make it past those little road blocks and on to their breastfeeding goal, educating moms & helping them see past all of the breastfeeding booby traps. I find it very rewarding to get a mom who is very unsure about breastfeeding and being able to enlighten her on how it will benefit her and her family.
2.  What do you enjoy about being a breastfeeding mom?
I love that I was able to give my daughter the gift of optimal health by breastfeeding her as long as I did. I’m glad that I was able to improve my long term health as well! Breastfeeding was more of a parenting tool for me, settling her out of tantrums and helping her to be secure enough to sleep on her own and eventually through the night. I also like that I can be a walking billboard for breastfeeding advocacy and help women to see that it is something normal rather than taboo.

If you have questions about breastfeeding, please don't hesitate to call one of our peer counselors!

- Sarah Robertson, Nutritionist

No comments:

Post a Comment